If you are wondering about what is the difference between compression tights and leggings, you are not alone! So let’s take a look at the differences and determine which one might be best for you.
Essentially, there are only a few differences with the main one being the weight of the fabric used. Non-compression tights and legs are usually created from sheer materials, much like pantyhose. They can also have a heavier weight and can be used as a substitute for pants. Yoga pants are often considered the middle ground.
Leggings and tights of all kinds come in various styles: Some with full coverage for the foot, some are footless, and some even come with a flared or bell bottom.
Compression leggings and tights are usually made of Lycra, Polyester and other blends, such as the eco-friendly variety used by ZeroPoint Compression.
Regular tights and leggings are usually worn as a fashion statement, while compression tights/legs are worn either for specific medical reasons or as a performance-enhancer for athletics.
Compression leggings were first worn to prevent varicose veins and other vein diseases from progressing into conditions such as deep vein thrombosis. They are also worn by travelers to prevent those types of vein diseases.
Compression gear for athletes, both pro, and amateur use the attributes of medical compression to enhance performance. The benefits and advantages include:
- Improved circulation and blood flow which means more oxygen/nutrients are delivered to the muscles
- Reduces delayed onset muscles soreness that can happen 24 to 72 hours after exercise
- Flushes the body of waste products including carbon dioxide and lactic acid.
- Reduces recovery time from injuries, strains
- Can control body temperatures
- Provides physiological advantages — These can be simply feeling like you look better, which can boost your confidence and motivation
- Aids in proprioception or how you sense your body’s position in space creating a more efficient muscle movement aspect.
- Moisture can be repelled or “wicked” away from the body, allowing it to evaporate faster
As you can see, compression tights and leggings can be a confidence and performance booster when worn during sports and recreational activities.
Because compression leggings have been designed to be very attractive, you also wear them as a fashion statement, when you are not in the gym or out on the field!
At ZeroPoint Compression, our team is highly qualified and knowledgeable about compression gear. If you need more information about what is the difference between compression tights and leggings, just ask. If you have any questions or what more information about what type of compression clothing is best for you and your individual activity, we are very happy to help you!