Over the past few blog installments, we have looked at the overall benefits of wearing compression gear. We have examined what types and why compression works for different climates and even different sports. In today’s blog, we will be looking at the benefits and reasons to wear compression sleeves and socks.
Compression gear has been embraced for years for all different types of athletes, from professionals to recreationalists.
Here are a few of the main benefits and reasons to wear compression sleeves and socks:
- Increased blood flow/circulation — Because compression was initially designed to help with blood flow for the prevention and alleviation of vein disease, you will find that athletic compression gear will help with blood circulation and higher levels of oxygenation.
- Reduce muscles oscillation — Compression can limit damage to the muscles, as well as preventing soreness.
- Muscle support — Because of the pressure or compression provided, muscles will stay in their proper place. This can lead to fewer injuries. It can also energize the muscles.
- Faster recovery — Because of the enhanced circulation effects, compression can help get rid of lactic build up to alleviate/prevent muscles soreness. This will help speed up your muscles recovery.
- Increased proprioception — This is essentially your “awareness” of your body in the space surrounding it. With this increased awareness you can see improvements instance, agility, posture and stability during your sports activity.
In addition to these main benefits, there are other reasons that compression sleeves and socks can benefit your workout:
- Protection — Sleeves and socks can protect your legs and arms from scratches and abrasions. This can be important for those involved in outdoor sports.
- Swelling — Compression can be especially beneficial for reducing swelling in those who may spend a lot of time on their feet. Ultra runners and marathoners can benefit from this.
- Dirt — You will be protected from dirt building up directly on your skin.
- Warmth/Coolness — Compression can help your body maintain an optimal temperature during workouts.
- Alleviate tired legs — Compression can help with the feeling of tired legs by increasing your circulation levels.
- Travel — Many people have found that wearing compression gear, especially socks and calf sleeves benefit them during airline travel. When traveling by plane, you may be restricted to sitting for long periods of time without being able to move about. Compression can help keep the blood flowing in your legs to alleviate blood pooling. This is especially important for those people who may be at a higher risk of developing blood clots.
As you can see, there are many great reasons to wear compression sleeves and socks. Whether you are just working at a desk or working out, compression can keep you healthy, especially your veins and circulatory system. They are also beneficial for those workout times and routines.
If you want more information on additional benefits, or what type of compression gear will benefit you most, the professionals at ZeroPoint Compression can help!